August 19, 2022
Shazam turns 20
Shazam turns 20 immediately, and as of this week, it has formally surpassed 70 billion track recognitions. A mainstay in widespread tradition, the platform has modified the best way folks interact with music by making track identification accessible to everybody. For greater than 225 million international month-to-month customers, to “Shazam” is to find one thing new.
To mark the event, Shazam invitations followers to make a journey down reminiscence lane with a particular playlist comprised of essentially the most Shazamed track of every calendar yr for the previous 20 years. That includes every thing from Prepare’s “Hey, Soul Sister” to Sia’s “Low cost Thrills,” the playlist is a real reflection of the music followers throughout the globe actively looked for over the previous twenty years. Hear now completely on Apple Music.
Over time, Shazam’s international charts have performed a vital position in serving to to determine breaking new expertise like Masked Wolf, who was certainly one of Shazam’s 5 Artists to Watch in 2021 and ended up having essentially the most Shazamed monitor globally that yr with “Astronaut In The Ocean.”
“The truth that folks all around the world took outing of their day to drag out their telephone and Shazam my songs is a large honor for me as an artist,” mentioned Masked Wolf. “You understand you’ve obtained one thing particular should you see the Shazam stats shifting.”
Shazam’s charts have additionally turn out to be a barometer for sudden popular culture moments. Kate Bush’s 1985 track “Operating Up That Hill” being featured in “Stranger Issues” led to an all-time peak in Shazams of the singer, and the monitor took No. 1 on the Shazam International Prime 200 for 10 days. It ended up reaching the highest of 25 nationwide charts — greater than another track in 2022.
Holding its finger on the heartbeat of music, Shazam has additionally performed a key position in bringing native artists to a worldwide viewers. The longest-running international No. 1 track of 2021 was “Love Nwantiti [Remix]” by Nigerian artist CKay, which grew to become the second track to ever surpass a million Shazams in every week.
“Shazam has performed an impactful position in my profession,” mentioned CKay. “It allowed tens of millions of individuals all around the world to find me and my distinctive Nigerian sound. It made me a worldwide sensation even earlier than I began to carry out all around the world. The story of CKay can’t be advised with out Shazam connecting me to the world.”
With its continued dedication to innovation over the previous twenty years, Shazam is pioneering new methods to carry followers nearer to the music and artists they love with new instruments just like the live performance discovery characteristic, which spotlights live performance info and tickets on sale for exhibits close by, just by Shazaming a track, or by trying to find it within the Shazam app or web site.
Whereas Shazam stays targeted on the way forward for music discovery, immediately’s anniversary provides a chance to look again on the notable moments and milestones that make up its two-decade historical past.
- August 2002: Shazam launches as a textual content message service primarily based within the UK. On the time, customers may determine songs by dialing “2580” on their telephone and holding it up as a track performed. They had been then despatched an SMS message telling them the track title and the title of the artist.
- July 2008: Shazam launches on the brand-new App Retailer. Shazam later launched its Android model in October 2008.
- April 2015: Shazam turns into accessible on the primary Apple Watch.
- September 2018: Shazam joins the Apple household.
- June 2021: Shazam surpasses 1 billion Shazams per thirty days.
- Could 2022: Shazam surpasses 2 billion lifetime installs.
- August 2022: Shazam celebrates 20 years of music discovery and hits 70 billion all-time Shazams.
- First-ever Shazamed track: “Jeepster” by T. Rex (April 19, 2002)1
- First Shazamed track on the iOS app: “How Am I Completely different” by Aimee Mann (July 10, 2008)
- First monitor to succeed in 1,000 Shazams: “Cleanin’ Out My Closet” by Eminem (September 2002)
- First monitor to succeed in a million Shazams: “TiK ToK” by Ke$ha (February 2010)
- First monitor to succeed in 10 million Shazams: “Any individual That I Used to Know” by Gotye feat. Kimbra (December 2012)
- First monitor to succeed in 20 million Shazams: “Prayer In C (Robin Schulz Radio Edit)” by Lilly Wooden & The Prick and Robin Schulz (October 2015)
- First artist to hit 1 million Shazams: Lil Wayne (February 2009)
- First artist to hit 10 million Shazams: Lil Wayne (June 2011)
- First artist to hit 100 million Shazams: David Guetta (Could 2015)
Quickest Tracks to Accumulate Shazams
- Quickest monitor to succeed in 1 million Shazams: “Butter” by BTS (9 days)
- Quickest monitor to succeed in 10 million Shazams: “Form of You” by Ed Sheeran (87 days)
- Quickest monitor to succeed in 20 million Shazams: “Dance Monkey” by Tones And I (219 days)
Most Shazamed of All Time
- Drake is essentially the most Shazamed artist of all time with over 350 million Shazams throughout songs the artist has led or featured on. “One Dance” is Drake’s hottest monitor at over 17 million Shazams.
- “Dance Monkey” by Tones And I is essentially the most Shazamed track ever with over 41 million Shazams.
- “Loopy” by Gnarls Barkley was essentially the most Shazamed track utilizing the “2580” textual content service.
Prime Shazamed Songs by Style
- Prime Hip-Hop/Rap: “Can’t Maintain Us” by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis feat. Ray Dalton
- Prime Dance: “Prayer In C (Robin Schulz Radio Edit)” by Lilly Wooden & The Prick and Robin Schulz
- Prime R&B/Soul: “All of Me” by John Legend
- Prime Latin: “Mi Gente” by J Balvin and Willy William
- Prime Pop: “Let Her Go” by Passenger
- Prime Different: “Dance Monkey” by Tones And I
- Prime Singer/Songwriter: “Take Me to Church” by Hozier
- The primary Shazamed track used the service’s prelaunch public beta.
Apple Media Helpline