Because of varied causes, a substantial variety of organizations nonetheless depend on legacy VMware vCenter Server variations of their knowledge facilities despite the fact that they’ve been out of assist for a very long time.
The tough and sophisticated migration to the cloud is likely one of the most typical causes corporations hold their essential manufacturing functions working in out-of-date infrastructure.
However with VMware Cloud Director Availability 4.4.1, there may be now a easy migration path to the cloud for workloads operated by previous vCenter Server variations. Nonetheless, catastrophe restoration for these workloads isn’t doable.
Each VMware Cloud Director clouds and devoted VMware vSphere clouds are supported as targets. Be aware: Enabling migration from legacy vCenter Server variations does NOT imply the assist of those variations is prolonged. Supporting it’s best effort, and any vCenter and ESXi bugs affecting the migration course of will NOT be addressed and glued.
The supported variations of vCenter and ESXi for migrating utilizing the VMware Cloud Director Availability on-premises home equipment are:
These variations are solely supported for the supply web site, and solely the VMware Cloud Director Availability On-Premises to Cloud Director Replication and On-premises to Cloud vCenter Replication home equipment can work with them. The vacation spot cloud web site have to be working a supported vCenter Server model.
|On-Premises (Supply)||VMware Cloud Director Cloud (Goal)||Devoted vSphere Cloud (Goal)|
|Supported VMware Cloud Director Availability Variations||4.4.1||4.3.1, 4.4.0, 4.4.1||4.4.0, 4.4.1|
Since it’s the similar OVF template for each on-premises home equipment, relying on whether or not the goal is a VMware Cloud Director cloud or a devoted vSphere cloud, the tenants want to decide on the proper worth for the deploymentOption property:
- –deploymentOption=on_prem for VMware Cloud Director clouds
- –deploymentOption=vc_combined for devoted vSphere clouds
Additionally, the proper model of the OVFTool needs to be used:
- OVFTool 3.5.2 for vCenter 5.5 U3
- OVFTool 4.1.0 for vCenter 6.0 U2 & U3
The complete deployment directions could be discovered within the documentation.
There are a number of limitations that you simply want to concentrate on:
- Legacy vSphere variations are supported just for the supply web site the place one of many VMware Cloud Director Availability On-premises home equipment must be deployed in line with the vacation spot cloud.
- The VMware Cloud Director Availability vSphere Shopper Plug-in isn’t obtainable. Solely the VMware Cloud Director Availability on-premises equipment interface (on-premises) or the VMware Cloud Director Availability Administration Portal (cloud) can be utilized.
- Solely migrations are supported. Protections are NOT supported.
- The workloads could be migrated solely from the legacy supply web site to a supported cloud web site. The other way is NOT doable.
- Solely the Basic knowledge engine can be utilized. This implies migration to VMware Cloud on AWS isn’t doable.
VMware Cloud Director Availability 4.4.1 is on the market at:
Keep in mind, to get the most recent updates, verify this weblog commonly, you can also discover us on Slack, Fb, Twitter, LinkedIn in addition to many demo movies and enablement YouTube, particularly our Function Fridays collection!