Posted by Alex Rocha – Developer Relations Engineer Supervisor, Ryan Ausanka-Crues – Eng Supervisor, Multi-device growth, Stella Loh – Product Supervisor, Multi-device growth
Right now we’re launching our Developer Preview of the brand new Cross machine SDK for Android. First introduced in the course of the Google I/O ‘22 Multi-device growth session, our Cross machine SDK permits builders to construct wealthy multi-device experiences with a easy and intuitive set of APIs. This SDK abstracts away the intricacies concerned with working with machine discovery, authentication, and connection protocols, permitting you to concentrate on what issues most—constructing pleasant person experiences and connecting these experiences throughout quite a lot of kind components and platforms.
What’s in Developer Preview
This preliminary launch incorporates a set of wealthy APIs centered across the core performance of Machine discovery, Safe connections, and Multi-device Periods.
- Machine discovery: Simply discover close by units, authorize peer-to-peer communication, and begin the goal utility on receiving units.
- Safe connections: Allow encrypted, low-latency bi-directional knowledge sharing between approved units.
- Multi-device Periods: Allow transferring or extending an utility’s person expertise throughout a number of units.
In flip, it will permit you to construct compelling cross-device experiences by enabling and simplifying the next use instances:
- Discovering and authorizing communication with close by units.
- Sharing an app’s present state with the identical app on one other machine.
- Beginning the app on a secondary machine with out having to maintain the app working in background.
- Establishing safe connections for units to speak with one another.
- Enabling job handoff the place the person begins a job on one machine, and may simply proceed on one other machine.
Beginning right this moment with a Developer Preview for Android telephones and tablets, the Cross machine SDK shall be obtainable later for different Android surfaces and non-Android OSs.
Below The Hood
The Cross machine SDK gives a software program abstraction layer that handles all points of cross-device connectivity, leveraging wi-fi applied sciences comparable to Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and Extremely-wide band; our SDK does all of the heavy-lifting beneath the hood, providing you a modular,connectivity-agnostic API that helps bi-directional communication between units and is backward suitable to Android 8. As well as, apps is not going to need to declare or request Runtime Permissions for any of the underlying connectivity protocols used (comparable to BLUETOOTH_CONNECT, BLUETOOTH_SCAN, ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION, and so on.), and the person can permit apps to hook up with solely the machine(s) they chose.
Getting began with Developer Preview
Head over to our developer information to get began and check out the Developer Preview of the Cross machine SDK for Android. Make sure that to take a look at our Rock Paper Scissor pattern app (Kotlin and Java) on GitHub for an indication on find out how to work with the assorted APIs and our Google I/O ‘22 Multi-device growth session for a common overview of the SDK.
We’d love to listen to from you throughout this preliminary Developer Preview launch to assist us form the SDK and affect future roadmapping, so please share your suggestions and tell us your expertise with the SDK!